10.10.13

Handwriting

Let us never forget that what we are is more important than what we do. -- Hudson Taylor

Thank goodness, Doug is home! Sometime yesterday afternoon, I ran into a big patch of I Don't Wanna. I didn't even want to bathe when I woke up this morning. (I'm suffering from the knowledge that I'll be on vacation in two days and I want it to start now.) It was only through prayer and obedience that I took care of my responsibilities today and we actually did get most of our school work done. We might have finished entirely, except for a bit of a battle with Lila over handwriting.

I have complete confidence that by the time Eli is in first grade, he will have better handwriting than everyone else in the house. I have terrible handwriting, though it can be mostly legible if I print slowly. Doug has even worse handwriting. My poor daughter is fighting a hard battle against a genetic predisposition toward bad handwriting (if such a thing exists). Unfortunately, for both of us, I suspect that this will be a long-term struggle.

Eli, on the other hand, has great fine motor skills. He's been better than Lila at coloring neatly for at least a year (since he was 4 and she was 7). I would never point that out, but Lila noticed and mentioned it herself. Now he's learning to write and that's looking pretty good too. If good handwriting comes easily to him, I'm pretty sure that Lila is going to be pissed. Being a big sister, she's always on the look-out for things that are "not fair!"

1 comment:

Susan Jordan said...

That is one thing I think I do reasonably well. I believe in my case though it came from years of keeping journals instead of having a social life! :D