26.7.06

Why do we do this to ourselves?

I think it's sad how often I let Life distract me from Living. I get so caught up in all the details of what's going on around me that I forget to pay attention to what really matters! And I know that I'm not the only one... Why do we do this to ourselves? Today I felt God calling me away to a Quiet Place. Okay, so the place was just our guest bed, but the important part was the quiet.

I'd been feeling sad for a day or two and wasn't sure why. I think God just wanted me to sit down and stop filling my brain with *stuff* long enough to listen to Him. And what I heard Him saying today was that Life doesn't have to be complicated! Just take things one decision at a time and don't get lost in the details. This is what I want - I want to slow down. I want to be Fully Present in every moment!

I don't want to have times like this morning when I spent the whole time I was feeding Lila her breakfast thinking about whether or not it was a good idea to pick up lunch on my way to a friend's house rather than bringing something from home. It doesn't feel right and I know that it isn't right when I let minor decisions take control of my thoughts and my actions!

Speaking of Lila...

She has started "blowing her nose" and it's *very* cute! She's had plenty of opportunity to study this skill as I spend about 50% of my time with a head full of gunk. A couple of days ago (or maybe that was just yesterday...), she was playing with a baby wipe after some meal. She put it up to her face and blew out through her nose. It took a couple of times before we caught on to what she was doing!

We started laughing and gushing and telling her what a BIG girl she is and she just ate it up! Now, it's true that she usually holds the tissue about one inch under her nose when she's blowing, but she's got the general idea down. Besides, nothing is actually coming out when she blows... yet. Since that first time, she has started practicing her new skill on whatever is handy - wipes, burp cloths, Mommy's shirt, etc. Too cute!

No comments: