18.7.06

Depp, 2, 3, 4!

I am on a mission to watch all of Johnny Depp's movies. He is one of my favorite actors and there is so much of his work that I haven't seen!

His first movie was 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' (1984). (do you remember him in it? he looked so young!) Now, the first time I saw this movie, I was probably 7 or 8 years old and it scared the doodie out of me! It's the only horror movie that ever gave me nightmares. In fact, if I remember correctly, I slept underneath a mountain of stuffed animals the night that I watched it.

Anyway, that being Johnny's first movie, Doug and I rented it several weeks ago and watched it. It's *so* *bad*! I started out watching it with my hands in front of my face, but we were both laughing at it before the end. An enjoyable, if hokey, horror movie.

Note: There are some TV appearances scattered in between these movies. Mostly on shows that I've never heard of, like 'Lady Blue.'

Skip to his third movie, 'Platoon' (1986). I made the very bad decision to watch this one by myself one afternoon (doug and lila were gone to a party or something). I never actually got to see Depp act in this movie because I only made it about halfway through (if that far) before I had to turn it off. It is well done and very realistic, I think. But HORRIBLE and not something I have any desire to ever finish watching.

Johnny Depp's second movie, which we watched third because they didn't have it at Blockbuster and I had to go to I Luv Video, was 'Private Resort' (1985). We just watched this one last night and it was spectacularly bad! Plot, dialogue, acting - all bad. (except for johnny, of course - he is only slightly less perfect than my husband) And the BBPM* count was at least 12.

Boy howdy! The humble beginnings of a distinguished career. I mean, 'Nightmare' was good when it came out, but is very cheesy in retrospect. 'Platoon' was well done, but not an easy movie to watch. 'Private Resort'... there's nothing good to be said about it except that Depp was in it!

His fourth movie was 'Cry-Baby' and it's next on the list to watch. I have slightly higher hopes for this one because my mother loves it. She says she's almost worn it out because she's seen it so many times. It certainly can't get much worse... :)

BBPM = Bare Breasts Per Minute

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have sworn I'd forced you to watch Crybaby, probably one of the times I came down there. If not I am severely deficient as a mother and deserve to be punished.

Mama

Anonymous said...

My fave is "Benny and Joon" - Grammie