11.7.06

Lunch with a Stranger

Lila and I had a little Date today. We originally had lunch plans with a friend, but they got cancelled. I checked to see if Doug was free, but he already had plans. That's okay - she and I can have fun without any help! :) I needed to pick up some more vitamins for her, so we started with a trip to Walgreens (terribly exciting). After unloading her from the car and making the quick trip into the store, I *really* didn't want to have to strap her back in only to drive 5 minutes and take her back out again.

There is a new(ish) restaurant very near the Walgreens called Bear Rock Cafe, so I decided we'd just walk over there. I had just eaten there for the first time on Sunday (with Doug and the Johnsons) and LOVED it, so I had no problem going back. I even forced myself to branch out and get a different sandwich than last time. This one was good too, but not as good as the first.

Anyway, we were there in the midst of the lunch rush and we got one of the last tables. It was just Lila and I at a 4 person table and I felt a little guilty - like we were taking up more space than necessary. So... I did something I've thought about 100 times, but never done. I invited a complete stranger to join us at our table!

There was a lady waiting for her food who hadn't been able to find a seat, so I asked her to share our table and she accepted. As soon as I sat back down, I started wondering why on earth I'd done that and trying to think of something to talk about with her. Given that we had just met, the conversation was a little slow at first. But we both warmed up and had a nice chat until she had to go back to work.

Her name is Christine and she works at Freescale. I thought about getting/giving a phone number or email adddress, but I didn't. I kind of wanted it to be just a passing interaction. It seemed more adventurous that way. I don't know - maybe that's silly. But wouldn't it be great if I ran into her again somewhere? These are the kind of adventures I'm trying to be more open to every day. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just please be careful! I've read too many snatched baby stories over the last few years to feel completely safe.

Redpeeler said...

I didn't leave my child in her care! She just sat at our table...

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd take that the wrong way. I know you didn't leave Lila with her, you probably didn't even ever turn your head away from them. I just overreact. It's my job.