24.1.13

Runaway Mom

The Two Dwarves - Sleepy and Shifty
Oh. My. Goodness.

This was a long and exhausting day! Lila was in rare form and she ended up spending a fair chunk of time alone in her room. She flat-out refused to do her school work several times. I'm the type of person who has a very hard time deviating from a set routine or schedule. If I am given a list of homework assignments to be done on homeschool days, then I want to do them in order, from beginning to end. This does not fly well with Lila's personality, so I make an effort to be flexible and let her make as many decisions about our school day as I can. We run into problems, however, when she doesn't like any of her choices and decides to go on strike.

I am pleased to say that I kept my cool through 95% of the chaos. I didn't start getting agitated and snippy until around 3:30. At that point, I shut it all down and sent the kids into the back yard. We will have extra schoolwork to do tomorrow, but at least I didn't yell at anyone! Once I had given up on any further schooling, I desperately wanted to crawl under a rock (or my comforter) and not come out for several hours. I sent Doug a message, begging him to let me disappear for the evening and he agreed -- God bless him! I somehow managed to bathe the children before he got home from work and then I split.

I spent an hour at Mama Fu's and an hour at Barnes & Noble and I am feeling much restored. When I got home, Doug was putting the kids to bed. I went up to their room to kiss them goodnight...

Lila: "Mom, where were you?"
Me: "In a faraway land--"
Doug: "--called Barnes & Noble--"
Me: "--where I was surrounded by books and silence."

Then I kissed my dubious children on the head and left the room with a peaceful smile upon my face.

No comments: