9.1.13

MORE Food Waste? Really?!?

Boy, I'm having a hard time getting back on the horse after Christmas break and being sick! Thus my second food waste confession in a week. Boo.

I think it's helping that school started back up this week. I made it to the gym today, which is a step in the right direction. Now I need to get our fridge under control, stop napping during the day, and start blogging in the evenings again. One step at a time, I guess.

This one I don't feel too bad about. I diced an entire bell pepper and put it in the fridge for sprinkling on salads. This was all that was left when it finally went bad. Using it the whole thing would have been better, but I'll settle for most of it. Especially given all the extra eating-out we did around Christmas!
 
These are chives. I only used a little of them and then they sat in the crisper drawer until they were far from crisp. I just didn't know what to do with them, so I avoided them. Typical. I suppose I should have chopped them up and added them to salads too.
 
Finally, a bunch of parsley. I used some for a recipe and then it suffered the same fate as the chives. I don't like parsley well enough to put it on just anything. I guess I'd better be more deliberate about making a plan for the leftovers next time, rather than waiting for some divine inspiration to hit me.
 
I made a delightful soup last night (which you might have already heard me complain talk about on Facebook). Rosemary White Bean Soup. It was supposed to be for last night's dinner, but the dumb beans wouldn't get soft! It took three hours of simmering (on top of the 10 hours of soaking) before they were finally done. Needless to say, we came up with a Plan B for last night's meal and had the soup tonight. It was so very tasty and worth the wait! I paired it with GF Rosemary and Herb Focaccia and salad and YUMMY! It was a big pot of soup, so we should be working on this one for a few days.
 
Challenge to myself: Tomorrow I will take stock of all that is in the refrigerator. I will throw away what has already gone bad (maybe i'll get lucky and there won't be anything!) and make specific plans for everything else.
 
You guys hold me to that, okay?

1 comment:

FullerBrushJan said...

You could have added all those veggies to your soup. Soup doesn't care if the veggies are wilted or not. You can also finely chop bell pepper, chives or parsley and put them in an ice cube tray, cover with water, and freeze for use later. (portion control.) The cubes can then be put in zip loc baggies in the freezer.
Veggies can also be dried for later use.
Love your blogs