20.3.14

Better

Who put wisdom in the heart
or gave the mind understanding?
(Job 38:36)

I am ever-so-happy to say that today was a Nearly Normal Day. Sure, I was a little weepy while watching Frozen tonight, but come on! It's a great movie!

[I also cry during some portions of the Harry Potter movies, Benny & Joon, Stranger than Fiction, UP, and Little Women... And at the end of Toy Story movies, Moulin Rouge, Wreck-It Ralph, and Signs... And through the entirety of The Return of the King.]

I am not naïve enough to think that I'm done with the physical ramifications of the medication change, but I'm also not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I will take a beautiful and drama-free first day of Spring and say Thank You!

After a couple of recent conversations, I feel I should revisit my reasons behind weaning off of the anti-depressants. It might seem like an arbitrary and ill-advise experiment, but it was always my goal to eventually wean off of the medication.

I recognize the essential role that it has played in my life, but it bothers me greatly that I am putting manufactured chemicals into my body every day. Several months ago, I began to realize that I am in better mental, emotional, and physical shape than I have ever been in my life.

I have gone through years of therapy and Bible study and prayer. A couple of simple changes in diet have eliminated my Fibromyalgia symptoms and dramatically reduced my allergies. I get great exercise that sends natural endorphins pumping through my body.

It seemed (and still does) like the perfect time to start this process.

I hope no one feels judged by my opinions on this. I am weaning off of medications and you aren't. So what? I feel very strongly about how I take care of my body, but I'm no one's doctor.

Do I think that antidepressants are overprescribed? A thousand times, yes. Do I think that you shouldn't be taking them? I don't know anything about your physical needs! And let's not forget - God used those pills to change my life!

Prescription medication alone is not enough to effect a lasting change, but they are a VERY valuable tool.

In closing...

No comments: