14.4.07

Pol-len keeps falling on my head...

Have you ever noticed how the phone will not ring all day long, until you sit down to dinner, or to watch a movie, or get in the shower... and then the floodgates are opened?

This morning, the phone rang once while we were all home and available. [Okay, technically it rang twice, but Lila hung up on them the first time when she attempted to answer the phone herself, so the call-back doesn't count.] Then Doug and Lila left to go to Ikea while I stayed home to dye my hair. It was tough, letting them go to Ikea without me, but my roots were an inch and a half long and I'm going to be on stage tomorrow, so it needed to be dealt with.

Anyway, they left and I got all prepped and put the dye on my hair. And then the phone rang. I couldn't answer it without staining a phone, so I just let it go. Then there was a knock at the door. I thought about ignoring that too, but not answering felt too much like lying, so I grabbed a robe and went to see who it was. Thankfully, it was just a neighbor who wanted to use our stapler.

After I got out of the shower and was trying to watch an episode of Buffy and eat lunch (both very important activities, you understand), there was another knock at the door. This time it was the Jehovah's Witnesses with a magazine for me. (It would have made for a much better story if they had been the ones to show up while I had a purple head, but alas...)

Then the phone rang again. And again. The last time it was Doug, so I picked it up. While I was talking to him, there was another knock at the door. For crying out loud! This time it was a guy who appeared to have either a drug habit or a nervous disorder and wanted to sell me some children's books. Or some magazines. Or maybe just to mow my lawn. The best thing about him was that he hit Doug up in the driveway after he got home with a completely different story than he gave me!

Finally, Doug and Lila came home and peace returned to the house. The phone has only rung one time since they got back and no one has come to the door. Go figure.

No comments: