6.12.06

O Jesus, I Have Promised

We sang this hymn at BSF this morning and it really touched me. I'm not a big fan of most hymns, but there are a few that are dear to my heart and every once in a while I hear a new one that I like. Anyway, here are the lyrics, along with a gratuitous photo of my adorable child...

O Jesus, I Have Promised
by John E. Bode

O Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end
Be Thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend
I shall not fear the battle if Thou art by my side
Nor wander from the pathway if Thou wilt be my Guide

O let me feel Thee near me! The world is ever near
I see the sights that dazzle, the tempting sounds I hear
My foes are ever near me, around me and within
But Jesus, draw Thou nearer, and shield my soul from sin

O Jesus, Thou hast promised to all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory there shall Thy servant be
And Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end
O give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend

There are a couple of things bits that really resonate with me. In the second verse, it says,
My foes are ever near me, around me and within
But Jesus, draw Thou nearer, and shield my soul from sin

Have you ever felt that way? That your foes are not only near you, but within you? I am my own foe at times. But Jesus can draw even nearer to us than the foe that lies within. It makes my heart swell to think that Jesus is that close to me, shielding my soul.

From the third verse:
And Jesus, I have promised to serve Thee to the end
O give me grace to follow, my Master and my Friend

It is only by God's grace that I am able to follow Jesus. I make the choice, but God gives me the strength. And what a relief that is! We're studying Romans this year, in BSF, and it's all about Grace. I never realized before what an infinitely complex and yet utterly simple concept it is. I learn something new every week!

No comments: