16.11.13

Halftime

"Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot that it doth singe yourself." -- Shakespeare, Henry VIII

Halftime of the UT vs. OSU game seems like a good time to update my blog. Maybe it will help me forget how painful those last few drives were...

I am now the proud owner of a beautiful grandfather clock; one which used to grace the entryway of my grandparents' house. I love the sound of those beautiful chimes and I can't wait for the Clock Man to come and get her running! Daddy and Susan had to disassemble the clock to get it down here, so it's in many pieces at the moment. Every time I walk past the cabinet, I either hug it or pet it adoringly. I can't wait to see what the cats do when it chimes for the first time!

Since I did a FlyLady Reboot, I have added a 2-minute entryway cleaning to every day. That means that I have a de-cluttered and polished mud bench sitting next to my beautiful "new" clock. It's an entryway that I'm happy for people to see now, rather than an entryway I try to hurry people past!

I've also been keeping my sink clean and free of clean OR dirty dishes and there's no longer a pile of mail and kids' artwork next to my calendar. The baby steps are paying off.

I'm including here some photos of a volcano that the kids and I made in our backyard this week. It was only about 40 degrees outside and none of us were wearing jackets. The kids weren't even wearing shoes. I'm not sure what it is about my family that makes us wait until we're about to develop frostbite before we're willing to dress appropriately. Maybe it's because we're from Texas and we know that the temperature may be 40 degrees now, but it could be 80 degrees in a few minutes.

40 degrees, folks.

Baking soda, dish washing liquid, and food coloring.

It's not a pretty volcano, but it did the job.



Looks like a fried egg.

"Let's add more vinegar! Let's add more vinegar!"


We'll have to do it again when we can spend more time making
the body of the volcano, so the "lava" will run down the sides properly.

No comments: