22.8.06

Milk, Take Two

The Milk Thing went better today. Doug and I got to have a nice, focused conversation last night about weaning (among other things). When Lila is present, my conversations are usually filled with little interruptions and the person I'm talking to only gets half my attention. After Lila is in bed, however, Doug and I get to sit together and actually look each other in the eye while we talk about things other than what to feed the baby for dinner and how many people to invite to her next birthday party.

Anyway, I entered today with different expectations about milk and weaning. This time, I put 4 oz. of milk (which we are now calling simply "M" to reduce confusion) into her cup, set the timer for 15 minutes, and handed it to her. She, of course, took a couple of drinks and then wandered away. I kept placing it in front of her and occaionally offering her a drink. I didn't force the issue though - if she pushed the cup away, then I backed off. She didn't get hostile and I didn't get childish.

When the timer went off at 15 minutes, I asked her if she wanted more ("Are you All Done?") and when she wasn't interested, I poured it out and put water back in her cup. Game over. After that, I nursed her. One trick I discovered: if I feed her bread during "M" time, she gets thirsty and drinks more! It felt a bit sneaky, but at this point I'll do whatever works to convince her that "M" is her friend!

She only drank one ounce of "M", but that's still more than yesterday. Maybe tomorrow she'll drink 1.5 ounces... :)

2 comments:

HopeFloats said...

Yay! I'm glad things went better today. Since you were bottle fed I just didn't give you the bottle one day and you never asked for it. However, that might be a little more difficult in this case. I guess it's going to have to be a gradual thing.

HopeFloats said...

Yay! I'm glad things went better today. Since you were bottle fed I just didn't give you the bottle one day and you never asked for it. However, that might be a little more difficult in this case. I guess it's going to have to be a gradual thing.