27.8.06

A funny thing happened on the way to the living room...

A little while ago, I heard Lila making some grunting noises in the living room. They sounded like noises of frustration, indicating help was needed before things got really dramatic. If she is having trouble doing something, she'll often say, "Help, please," with prompting. Occasionally, she even says it without prompting. It's VERY cute! "Ep, bo..."

Well, what I found when I got in there was that she had crawled into her car seat, which was in the living room floor, and gotten stranded there. She was laying in it, sort of at an angle, one her back with her arms and legs waving in the air like a turtle. The grunts came when she tried to sit up, but couldn't. I just started laughing at her. I felt bad, but it was just too funny! I did, however, resist the urge to leave her there and go get the camera. I was afraid that would end in crying.

This amusing scene was quickly followed by an injury for The Mom. I leaned down to pick something up and -- I'm not sure. I guess I lost my balance. Anyway, I landed with my weight on my left hand and my index finger was bent backward, much farther than it was ever intended to bend. I hurt myself at least 117 times per day (usually in ways that make doug laugh and shake his head), so this is not remotely surprising.

Every roommate I have ever had, including my loving husband and daughter, has quickly learned to ignore the frequent exclamations of pain or shock that I emit. It's not uncommon to hear a crashing noise and/or a scream come from the room that I am in, followed by a pause, and then, "Everything is under control!" Doug's repsonse is usually something like, "Yes, dear."

Anyway, this finger bending thing hurt badly enough that I didn't make a sound! I just put my head on the floor and didn't move or breathe for several seconds. Lila, who was sitting right next to me when this happened, pretended not to have noticed. I'm sure it was my own pride that she was protecting. Yes.

Well, my finger tingled from the tip down into the middle of my hand for a few minutes, but that's about it. I keep expecting it to swell up to twice its normal size and turn purple, but no such luck. I mean, I don't want to lose the use of my hand, but I think I should have something to show for this pain! I get little scratches that bleed and bruises on my legs and I have no idea where they came from. But I do something like walk face-first into a closed door (or get elbowed in the nose by my husband - this happened just the other night) and I never bruise or bleed or anything.

Alright, enough. I'm sure I've done enough damage to my reputation for one day. :o)~

No comments: