20.9.13

Service

Do not withhold good. -- Proverbs 3:27

I'm having sort of an ugly battle with my flesh this evening. I am aware of a person who is in need of help for a while. It's not the sort of help that can be given with a polite smile and a nod. It's the sort of help that takes work. It will encroach on my tidy schedule and set pattern of life, if only for a day or two. I typically love to help people. It gives me great satisfaction. So why the struggle this time? What is it about this request that I find myself fighting against?

Perhaps because it touches a part of my life that I feel I only have tenuous control over? It's not my job to be in control anyway! Because it requires using a "muscle" that I'm not particularly gifted in? Jesus never said that serving others would be comfortable! You know what else is not comfortable? Growth. This is looking to me like a huge opportunity for growth. I will offer my help to this person because it is what I know I should do.

The question is: Will I approach this opportunity with a fixed mindset or a growth mindset?

No comments: