22.2.14

Complaint

"If you don't place your foot on the rope, you'll never cross the chasm." -- Liz Smith

At least he's not going someplace that I desperately want to
visit this time.
I found out today that Doug is going on another business trip in May.

So. Frustrating.

This is one thing that he and I have never agreed on. He feels that it's perfectly okay to fly off to other countries every few months, leaving his family behind for a week or two. I disagree.

Some of my objections are completely irrational. Others are not.

I used to think that Dell was the enemy, sending my husband off on trips against his will. Then I found out that he wanted to go. Clearly, I can't view my husband as the enemy. Since none of my arguments against these trips were changing Doug's mind, I decided to be as supportive as possible.

Complaining will not keep him from going; it will only add stress to his mind. If there's anything I hate, it's being a nag. So I don't lie about my feelings, but - since he already knows - I don't bring it up.

When the trips are only once or twice per year, it's not so bad. When I start hearing about the next trip less than two weeks after he returns from the last one...

Well, I'm not a very cheerful person today.

I'm sure we'll talk about it, once the kids are in bed. I'll give all the reasons why I dislike these trips. He'll listen patiently and then go anyway.

At least I'll feel that I've been heard.

No comments: