13.5.13

Eli's Room Makeover

Doug and I decided to make over Eli's side of the bedroom for his birthday. His birthday party was on Saturday and we asked the grandparents to take the kids home with them afterward. We did all the painting and decorating while they were gone, so it was a big surprise for Eli when they got home!

Red is his very favorite color, so that was the obvious choice for painting the walls. When I asked him what his favorite shade of red was he said Iron Man Red and Dr. Pepper Can Red, which are basically the same.

(I asked a couple of different times to make sure I got a consistent answer.) I think the color looks a bit brighter in these photos than it does in person. It's a great color though. I love it!

The Little Big Planet wall hanging is from Eli's birthday party. I ordered it, thinking it was going to be a paper poster, but it turned out to be a high-quality cloth thing. So onto the wall it went!

On to the bed. Eli is the only person in the house who thinks it is too cold at night and that's why he kept showing up in our room during the wee hours of morning. The rest of us sleep under as little cover as possible, and the kids didn't even have comforters - just light blankets. So, as another part of the makeover, we got him a nice, fluffy comforter (with matching sheets).

He liked it so much that he face-planted onto it and yelled, "I LOVE YOU!!!"

It is unclear whether he was talking to us or the bed.

The picture you see hanging on the wall is a particularly cool painting that Eli did several months ago. It kind of looks like a Joan Miro. And it looks great with the wall color and bedding!
Of course, we couldn't forget his obsession with Monster Jam! The plush monster truck you see on his bed (in the photo above) is one of his favorites. It is known around our house as Puff Grinder. (Grinder being the name of the truck, Puff being... well, it's a puffy truck.)

I got a good deal on a 10-pack of Monster Jam pennants for his wall. I hung the first two and Eli put the rest of them up.

Well, he held them against the wall and I put the tacks in. But the arrangement is his, nonetheless.

There was a slight confusion over what gloss-level was already on the walls, so now Lila's side is flat finish and Eli's is satin. Lila is jealous because Eli's side is shiny.

I prefer a flat or eggshell finish myself, but I figure the boogers will wipe off the satin finish more easily.

(You think I'm kidding, don't you...)

1 comment:

Susan Jordan said...

I was hoping so . . .